Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Golf Tip for a Winter Day: Eyes Closed Putting Drill

It's still well below playing temperature here in Loogootee so we have time to do other things with our lives. Like, for instance, take a long walk and concentrate on posture meaning walking upright and keeping the old belly tucked in. Or, do some more putting in the living room or the play room, wherever there's a little space to roll a ball or two. I happened to do some of both of those this morning and ended up just a few minutes ago trying to putt with my eyes closed. Yep, with my eyes closed. The gurus of golf instruction suggest that so as to develop a feel for that magical putting stroke that we all have been looking for (feel and distance control actually). I did try this a few months back just for a day or two; I remember it being totally unsatisfactory and unnerving; in other words, I found myself completely lost without my eyes wide open. Today, on the other hand, after a couple of months of down time and the chance to relax a little, I found the idea of putting with my eyes closed more palatable; and after giving it a go, although only from shorter distances (5' to 10'), I am 'seeing' the value of putting such a drill into one's practice routine. Feel; you are looking for feel. Close your eyes and feel the stroke. No, don't be falling asleep now or even letting your mind take you back to feelings of another sort usually enhanced, and practiced, with one's eyes closed. Give it a go, a try, as you get yourself ready for the temperatures to rise just a little. You can go here for more on the eyes closed drill.