Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Golf in February

Has golf in February ever been pretty? I know that it's good to finally get out there and swing the club and hit the ball. But, my oh my, there sure are some ugly shots as we try to find a rhythm and a pace and an aggression that has been dormant for several months. All that had me thinking these last few days that maybe there should be a few things we concentrate on as we start another season of golf. So, my own early round considerations, or erc's:

1. Keep left arm straight on back swing - remains one of my most common swing breakdowns.
2. concentrate on making good contact even if that means less of a turn - something which may be Required as our muscles limber up from months of inactivity.
3. Accelerate and finish - even though I dial in the appropriate factors - distance, ground conditions, wind, temperature and come up with the perfect club and what seems like the perfect swing, I'll then make a three quarter swing effort and leave myself way short of my intended target.
4. Care more about the number of clean hits you get rather than the eventual score for the day. It's early season - we are no where near the mid season form we think we should be in.
5. Have fun and be thankful of the break in the weather - think of all that snow and ice that had us screaming meemie's just a day or so ago. (Wonder what a screaming meemie is?)

And, speaking of weather, at the moment the wind is howling and the rains are coming down. Supposed to be over by early afternoon with temperatures in the 50's and 60's. Sounds like golfing weather to me.