Friday, November 13, 2009

Bits and Pieces for a Friday Morning

-Tiger leads by three at the midway point down under at the Aussie Masters. Do you know any of the other guys playing in that event?  I see a few familiar names on the leaderboard.
-Song-Hee Kim leads at the Ochoa event down in Mexico after shooting a 65.  The Wie Lass is competing and shot a 70.
-Note from the above link: Jiyai Shin has won the rookie of the year award in the LPGA and could win the player of the year as well, something that has only been done by Nancy Lopez.  Remember the year she did that?  Hint:  The Notre Dame Fighting Irish played in the Cotton Bowl, smashed Texas, 38-10, and leapfrogged from a ranking of 5th in the nation to win the national championship.
-Out at Lakeview last Monday, Jack Butcher shot his age (or better) for the umpteenth time by firing a 76.  I had illusions of doing that yesterday after opening with a 36 but exploded for a 46 on the back nine.  My timing belt broke on me.  Have shot my age once - back in 2005 when I was 65.
-In yesterday's play, Ken Hudson recovered from his high scoring of earlier in the week and fired a net 70.  The rest of us: Butcher a 72, Jack Lents a 75, and me a 76.  (All scores net.)
-Another foursome out there playing: Tony Wease, Charlie Sheetz, Mike Strawn and Dick Cresgy.
-No hole-in-ones that I heard of. Jack Lents came the closest in our group with a shot on #7 that ended up a couple of feet beyond the pin.
-It was lovely out there even with the temperatures not getting out of the 60's.  More lovely today and tomorrow.