Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Bits and Pieces

-Stanford doing things right these last few weeks.  First, the Cardinals' Ladies basketball team stops UCON's record setting winning streak.  And last night, the football team toppled Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl (40-12), completing a 12 win, 1 loss season.  In attendance were former Standford qb's John Elway (Broncos...) and Jim Plunkett (Raiders!), both pretty good players in the NFL.  Two questions:  Does standout Stanford qg Andrew Luck opt out of his last two years at Stanford and head for the NFL and maybe end up being the #1 pick and go to the Carolina Panthers?  And, two, was Michelle Wie in attendance?  Can't imagine her not being there.  Oh, and another question:  Was that other Stanford golfer hanging out in the stands somewhere?  That would be Tiger Woods for those wondering.

-Speaking of Tiger:  From my 'Amazing but true golf facts calendar' (which I received as a Christmas gift from ever sweet and lovely Laura Tarr):
According to a recent survey of 648 American golfers, 21 percent of Average Joes believe they could beat Tiger Woods if he spotted them one stroke per hole.
I can understand that.  Imagine Tiger, or any pro for that matter,  coming to Lakeview and taking on anyone and giving them a stroke a hole in a nine hole match.  Now, wouldn't you be willing to take him on?  I would.  Of course, if I had my druthers, I can think of another pro whom I would much rather have taking me on in that friendly challenge.  Do the initials MS suggest any particular Korean American golfer?  Hint:  She was mentioned earlier in this post.  Still flummoxed?  Here's a whole set of visual aids.

-Wish the temperatures were about ten degrees warmer.  Snow's off the golf course, sun's up, and I would love to head out and play a round or two.  Expect I'll have to settle for a good walk instead.  First though, a little breakfast with Diane.  She fixed waffles yesterday morning - yum.  Today maybe just oatmeal with raisins and blueberries and a banana along a bit of milk.  That gets a yum as well.