Friday, May 6, 2011

Bits and Pieces

-Wanna make a hole-in-one?  Play more golf.  Brent Kelley at about.com talks about the odds of making an ace and reports a variety of 'guesses' at exactly what those odds are.  One expert:
The odds Scheid came up with were lower than any others cited above: 5,000 to 1 for a "low-handicapper," 12,000 to 1 for an "average player." If you are a low-handicapper and play 1,000 rounds in your life, according to Scheid, you have a 20-percent chance of recording an ace. If you play 5,000 rounds, your odds are 1:1.
So, let me see here.  If I got serious about golf when I turned 50, what would be my chances of getting an ace or two?  Or, how long would it take me to play 5000 rounds - and that assumes that I'm a low handicapper.  Off the top of my head, don't think I have enough years left to play that many rounds.  But, hey, doesn't matter cause I've already got my share of aces (2) though am looking for that third one any day now.  Rounds calculation: Say three a week for thirty weeks in a year or about a hundred; that would be a thousand in ten years and two thousand in twenty.  Think that figure is very generous even with my being at a golf course near every day for seven or eight months of the year.  Bottom line:  If you want a handful of aces, get out there and play.

-Speaking about stellar moments of golf:  Not so stellar play these last several days at Lakeview.  Both Tuesday and Thursday league players have come in with scorecards turned face down not really wanting to reveal the amount of frustration and embarrassment they experienced in their rounds (I include myself in this group after last Wednesday's make up of both a Thursday and a Tuesday league event).  High scores have been the norm.  It's like we all had our golf smarts washed away with the plentiful and constant rains of the last twelve days.  Bound to get better, both the weather and the golfing.

-Breakfast at the Corner Cafe this morning with Diane and #1 son Marty and Jim Bateman.  Catching up with Jim who has avoided all the golfing woe by doing other things.  Does say that he is going to get back out there one of these days.  The Friday church crowd came in while we were there - Shirley Jeffers, John Walker, Allen Voegerl, Tom Walker (and several others).  Used to see them up at the Cabin when that place was still in operation.

-Which reminds me:  Hope George Templin is feeling a whole bunch better.  He should be home and recuperating after bypass surgery last week.  Expect he would quickly trade in a day or two at the golf course in any kind of weather just to be out and about.

-Tip for the day: Get out in the sun and listen to the birds' singing.