Thursday, March 10, 2011

Bits and Pieces

-Seen on a side bar at LinksLifeGolf:

Golf Quotes

"I don't know why people say Ben Hogan is untalkative. He speaks to me on every green. He says,'You're away.' ~ Jimmy Demaret
Made me chuckle.
-At that same link, the author picks his favorite in the seven top threesomes that go out today at Doral.  Worth a peek just to see who's playing together.  Btw, I think that pairing (top 21 golfers get to go out against each other) by the PGA is outstanding.  Coverage on The Golf Channel starts at 1:30.

-On the big boy tour and the sterling 20 somethings and the illusion of winning (from a comment over at Wei Under Par):
KC
20 something winning more?
Let me see…So far this year…
2 time winners Mark Wilson 36
Jonathan Bird 33
Jhonny Vegas 26
Bubba Watson 32
D.A Points 34
Aaraon Baddeley 29 (30 next week)
Johnson Wagner 30
Luke Donald 33
Rory Sabattini 34
Other than Vegas – who does not belong to the media darling 20-something clan, the rest are 30+ and seasoned pro golfers.
Does being young and famous creates the illusion of winning?
I think it does cause we sure have been hearing a lot about them these last few months.  In any case, congrats to the 30 somethings; they're doing well.
-For you readers out there (count me in):  From Golf Facts, my daily calendar (paraphased):  The PGA's Lucas Glover, a prolific reader, listed his five favorite books as: Copote's In Cold Blood, Cussler's The Navigator, Karkauer's Into Thin Air, Child's Killing Floor, and Dumas' Count of Monte Cristo.  I certainly agree that the first three are very good reads, the fourth I don't know and the fifth was a high school assignment (and whoever counts those as favorites?).  Here's a set of three that you might love, a series that I just finished and Diane has just picked up the third book: Steig Larsson's The Millenium Series.  Absolutely fantastic new heroine on the scene in Lisbeth Salander.  Picked up the books shortly after watching the movies which are super as well.

-Might be a good day to curl up with a book till the golf starts this afternoon.  Or, work on the taxes.  Doesn't that sound like fun?  Eric's coming after the Donut Barn closes and we're going to do just that.

-Eric told me that the Odon Journal has my photo of Issac Swartzentruber making that winning basket against the Lions last Saturday night on its front page.  Whoopee.